East Riding, submit your art!
The 23rd Annual Open Art Exhibition at the Beverley Art Gallery is a celebration of local talent from across Hull and East Riding. We invite you to submit your art and have it displayed for all to see and admire. You can also sell your art through the exhibition (please note, a commission will be charged on sales). Due to space constraints, not all submitted entries can be accepted for the exhibition.
To enter, you will need to:
- Complete an entry form
- Pay a non-refundanble £3 entry fee
- Be able to drop off your entry to Beverley Art Gallery during the submission week
- Be able to pick up your artwork on the agreed dates.
Image: Detail Jane Beharrell, winner of the 2016 People's Choice Award.
Remember your labels!
Your artwork can be of any medium. You must double label your artwork prior to submission. One label must be attached flat to the back (or underneath) of your artwork, and one label must be fixed by string and left dangling. Artwork without both labels will not be accepted. On the labels you must include: artist's name, title, medium and price. For all other details of entry, please read the terms and conditions.
Pick up an entry form from Treasure House Museum and Beverley Art Gallery at any time or download and print your own. Don't have a printer at home? You can use Click Print Go at East Riding Libraries to print the entry form and your labels.Download entry form Visit Beverley Art Gallery
Make sure to bring your artwork, entry form and £3 entry fee for each artwork you plan to submit during these dates and times:
- Thursday, 25 August 2022, 10am-7pm
- Friday, 26 August 2022, 10am-4pm
- Saturday, 27 August 2022, 10am-3pm
- Tuesday, 30 August 2022, 10am-7pm
- Wednesday, 31 August 2022, 10am-4pm
- Thursday, 1 September 2022, 10am-7pm
Unsuccessful artwork collection
If you are unsuccessful this year, you can collect your artwork from the Beverley Art Gallery on:
- Monday, 5 September 2022, 10am-4pm
- Tuesday, 6 September 2022, 10am-7pm
- Wednesday, 7 September 2022, 10am-4pm
- Thursday, 8 September 2022, 10am-7pm
- Friday, 9 September 2022, 10am-4pm
- Saturday, 10 September 2022, 10am-3pm
Please note: Artwork cannot be collected on the launch day of the exhibition, Saturday, 24 September.
The exhibition is free to attend and will take place at Beverley Art Gallery between Saturday, 24 September 2022 and Saturday, 7 January 2023.
When the exhibition is over, you must collect your artwork by:
- Tuesday, 10 January 2023, 10am-7pm
- Wednesday, 11 January 2023, 10am-4pm
- Thursday, 12 January 2023, 10am-7pm
- Friday, 13 January 2023, 10am-4pm
- Saturday, 14 January 2023, 10am-3pm
Please note: If artworks (other than sold items) are not collected within one month of the exhibition, then under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 they can legally become the property of Beverley Art Gallery who may dispose of them as they see fit.
If you have any enquiries, get in touch with the museums front of house team by visiting Beverley Art Gallery or calling (01482) 392782. However, please note that any and all decisions of the judging panel are final and unsuccessful entries will not be able to appeal.
Terms and conditions of entry
- Eligibility: Open to all artists resident in the East Riding of Yorkshire and Hull.
- Entry limits: Each artist may submit one original piece of work in any medium. It can be two or three dimensional.
- Entry size: All two dimensional work must be framed or on a stretched canvas. Clip frames are not acceptable. The gallery provides suitable picture fixings. Please do not attach any fixings to your work. You must remove any existing fixings. Works on paper should be framed. For reasons of security, frames should not be less than half an inch wide at the back where the Gallery can attach mirror plates for hanging. We will not be able to accept works that have been inappropriately framed or mounted.
- Labels: All entries must have two labels. Please attach two labels to your work giving the artist's name, title, medium and price. One label must be taped flat to the back of the work; the second label should be securely attached to a piece of string, which is securely attached to the work and left dangling. We cannot accept work without both labels.
- Originality: All entries must be the artist's own original work and not copies or prints (unless a fine art print). Works must not have been exhibited in any of our Open Art exhibitions before. We will give priority to work produced within the last two years.
- Entry Form: All work must be delivered to Beverley Art Gallery, with an accompanying entry form.
- Enquiries: If you have any queries regarding the eligibility of your work please contact the Reception desk in the first instance (01482) 392782.
- Entry fee: A non-returnable entry fee of £3 PER ART WORK will be charged to assist with administrative costs whether or not your work is accepted.
- Selling your art: If you wish to sell your work, you will be appointing East Riding of Yorkshire Council as your agent. The work will be sold at the price stated on your entry form. You will be charged a 23.5 per cent commission, so for example on a painting sold for £100 the artist will receive £76.50.
- Liability for damage: East Riding of Yorkshire Council can accept no liability for loss of or damage to works submitted for exhibition. You are advised to arrange your own insurance for any artwork submissions. Our staff take every care over work submitted but we recommend you avoid submitting works with unprotected surfaces, elaborate frames, and such.
- Judges' decision: Appointed judges will select the works for the exhibition. Their decision is final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.